Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Seeing White -- The Sequel

At the rate the snow is falling, I will be able to manufacture industrial quantities of snow cream and sell it. Since my last blog entry, yet another blizzard began yesterday (Tuesday, February 9th), and the white stuff is still falling hard today. The entire DC area has broken all of its snowfall records at this point. Frankly, we are running out of places to put the snow. At least we still have power! *Knock wood*.

Today as I set my metal mixing bowl on the blanket of fresh snow outside, I set my sights on the goal of making snow cream from a different recipe, just to vary the repertoire. Today's recipe is as follows:

1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
4 heaping tablespoons Hershey's Special Dark, Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
14 cups snow

Yes, folks, I had a chocolate org*sm. This was an impossibly thick, dark, rich chocolate snow cream. In fact, the recipe was so rich, 8 cups of snow only yielded a dark brown sludge. So I doubled it, and the result was an incredible triple-chocolately dessert, very smooth and scoopable. The only minus was the occasional bitter-chocolate lump in the mix. But overall, it had the consistency of a soft sorbet.

Having tried recipes with both condensed and evaporated milk, I prefer the latter. The evaporated milk provided a more neutral flavor which allowed the intended snow cream flavor to stand out, whereas the condensed milk, while tasty, seemed to compete with the added flavors for dominance. So my final vote is for this recipe. Please note, though, if deep dark chocolate repulses you, you might want to reduce the amount of chocolate to 1 or 2 tablespoons, and use Milk-, rather than Special Dark, chocolate flavored cocoa powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment